Tuesday, August 30, 2011

How do you feel close to God?

I suppose, this post is a continuation of my thoughts from the previous post. Actually, I listened to a tape of Rich Mullins recently that prompted some of these thoughts. Those of you who know me, know I am inspired by Rich's words and songs.

In the tape, Rich said that many people ask him, "how do you feel close to God?" He answered, "I don't know. When I read the psalms, many times I think most of the psalmist didn't always feel very close to God. Closeness to God is not about feelings," he adds. "Closeness to God is about obedience. When I read the scriptures, I realize that God has a special place in His heart for the oppressed, for the broken and for the poor. Jesus said, 'whatever you do for the least of these, you've done it unto me.' If I want to identify with who God is, the best way I can do that, is to serve the poor. I don't know how you feel close to God. I know that if we obey, occassionally the feeling follows. Not always, but occassioally. I know if we disobey, we haven't got a shot at it!"

God's Peace

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQnFU5JvuWY

No comments:

Post a Comment